Top Image

Top Image

LEA VUKOVICS: the interview

Posted on: 2008/11/26


EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

LEA VUKOVICS

@ Place models (Hamburg /now with Mega Berlin(2011)) @ Marilyn Paris @ Why Not (Milan), @ Models1 (London) @ Uno (Bacelona) @ Stella (Vienna).

PONY RYDER: When and how did you start modeling?
LEAH VUKOVICS: 2 Years ago, I went to a second hand market, and my current booker saw me there. We have a few similar hobbies.

PONY RYDER: What is one thing that is inevitable for a new model to have?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Polaroid’s. Some girls don't even have to go to test shoots, but for me it was a good thing, because you can learn a lot and everyone is getting crazy 'cause they can do what they want to do. There are no rules at test shootings.

PONY RYDER: What are the things a model cannot be without?
LEAH VUKOVICS: Phone, money, map.
PONY RYDER: What should a relationship between an agent and a model look like?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
I Think the most important thing between a model and his booker is good communication and trust on both sides. Never be shy to ask and it's important on both sides to have the normal respect which a person needs to get. And to listen and understand what people mean. Give everyone the chance to talk about the things which are important.


PONY RYDER: The Fashion world is very competitive. How do you deal with it?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Sometimes it can be really hard, but you have to find the balance between it. Some competitions can make you feel better, but if you don't feel good about it, it's best for you not to care about it.

PONY RYDER: Did you learn about the modeling business yourself, or did you have a lot of guidance?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
I learned a lot from Place models and also Marilyn gave me some advice how to go to castings and everything. But mostly I learned from other models which gave me good and helpful tips. Thanks to Robin Linke who was keeping an eye on me in Paris.

PONY RYDER: In model apartments, girls from different backgrounds are put together. How does that work? LEAH VUKOVICS: Most of the time it's cool to be with different people from everywhere. This is one of the reasons why I'm doing this job - to get more and more experience and a feeling about how people are! Sometimes it's too much for me, 'cause you are never alone. There is someone around you all the time, and after a full day of castings or after a shoot you may need some time for yourself, to be at a quiet place.

PONY RYDER: How do you think the agencies decide which models to put together?
LEAH VUKOVICS: I think there is no plan behind this. Its just a question about how much it will cost them, in which apartment is the most space available and how far is it from the center.

PONY RYDER: Tell us about your roommates... anyone we know?

LEAH VUKOVICS: There is one girl you should watch out for, her name is Charon. She is from Marilyn in Paris and I'm sure that she is on the way to the top. And Sofie Schwensen, I saw you did an interview with her, she is so cute
.

PONY RYDER: How do you pose? Do you explore photographers work (or patience :) before doing a shoot?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Before the shooting I ask the photographer if he has a story or some special ideas we can work on. If not, I do it my way which is kind of strange but mostly everyone likes it.

PONY RYDER: How do you prepare for a photoshoot? Do you take a look at the photographer's work?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
If I have the time, yes. For me it's really important to eat well before a shoot, otherwise I would be tired before we start. And for sure I'm taking a shower - don't want to smell.

PONY RYDER: What was the hardest photoshoot for you, and why?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
My first shooting was in Athens, just 2 days after I started. Everything was so new and I was too shy to ask questions, and I was feeling really uncomfortable. The shoot was for lingerie and it was so new for me to pose sexy in front of so many people. Now I can laugh about it, but at that time, everything was just too much for me.


PONY RYDER: Is there a difference in posing when you are doing a cover and an editorial?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
OOOHhh Yes. I love, love, love doing editorial, ‘cause you can change the pose as often you want, it's just fun! And for a cover it's mostly more commercial and you can't move that much.

PONY RYDER: Is casting for a cover different than casting for an editorial?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
No, just sometimes there are more people on commercial castings.
PONY RYDER: Is there an artistic or general difference in doing editorials/covers in Germany opposed to Italy?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
In Germany it’s more about how to sell something in a good way. In Italy or Paris it's more art, and the jobs where the people can do their own thing and enjoy the cloth and the light and the work - this is what I like.

PONY RYDER: Did anyone in the industry ask you to change your look, name, etc... If so, what did you do?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Yes, they ask me all the time to change my look and to loose weight and of course they tell me that I look too much like a student.

PONY RYDER: Do models eat?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Some eat like crazy, and some don't. There are also those that eat but don't keep it in that long.

PONY RYDER: Which city do you think requires the models to be very thin?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Paris

PONY RYDER: When models say they eat healthy, what do they mean by that?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Hmmm...mostly they are just on a diet and try to call this the reason why they eat to little. OK, maybe some girls just don't eat crappy things like fast food.
PONY RYDER: What do you think is your x factor?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Maybe it's my really white skin and freckles, and my eyes have all colors.

PONY RYDER: How do you maintain your skin?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
I love Weleda rose cream in winter. In summer I don' use cream and if I don' touch my skin, it's perfect.

PONY RYDER: Do you use thermal water?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Sometimes I do if I use it. It's Avene but I was just using it to clean my dirty laptop.

PONY RYDER: Do you believe in home made recipes?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
I do. My grandmother is doing lots of creams at home. Once I was really sick in Athens, and my roommate told me to eat fresh garlic. I didn't believe her, but I did it just because I had to fly on the next day to London, and I had a really bed fever. After I went to bed when I woke up I was feeling really good and I didn't have fever any more.

PONY RYDER: Share with us one home made beauty recipe?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Avocado and a little spoon of olive oil, one egg - it's great for the hair. And honey for the lips.

PONY RYDER: What is the best beauty advice you know of?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Water, grapefruits and being happy!

PONY RYDER: How do you stay in shape? What do you do?

LEAH VUKOVICS:
Yoga and every evening I'm doing 100 sit ups. Now I'm starting to climb in a hall with my friends, which is sooo nice. It's just you competing with your self, to get to the limits of your own strength. I love sport, it's not just because of staying in shape, I do it cause I love it!
PONY RYDER: What is your favorite part about modeling?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Traveling in different cities, and to switch in different characters in photo shootings. I would like to be an actor as well.

PONY RYDER: Do people act different around you since you've become a model?
LEAH VUKOVICS:
Some did. They act like I'm a superstar or they make everything bad, like ohh you are so ugly skinny or I think you look really bad on this picture. That's one of the reasons why I have lots of dancers, models and actors as friends 'cause they know how the business is.

PONY RYDER: What would you advice to new models?
LEAH VUKOVICS
: Do the job, but never lose yourself. Keep an eye on your self and take it easy and stop if you break yourself.
PONY RYDER: Do you have any model friend that you would like to see presented on Pony Ryder blog?
LEAH VUKOVICS: Lino Meiries from Placemodels and Anastasia Goron. Men they're going to rock.


Interview with fashion model Leah Vukovics is original work and courtesy of Pony Ryder blog. aLL PHOTOS ARE COURTESY OF PLACE MODELS. 

PONY RYDER All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger