Top Image

Top Image

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH FASHION MODEL ANNEMARIJE RUS

Posted on: 2008/11/11

Pony Ryder presents EXCLUSIVE interview with fashion model ANNEMARIJE RUS.

Annemarije is a Rus but not a Russian, even if some of you can play with her name. Annemarije Rus is yet another gorgeous Dutch beeing interviewed by Pony Ryder. Her exquisite and individual portfolio caught Pony Ryder's eye several times already, as it will probably catch yours. With her lips and eyes, the intellect she has, and the kindness and politeness she holds, it won't be long before she stops our hearts as we watch her conquer the runways.

Annemarije Rus is with Future Faces (Amsterdam), Trump (NY), City Models (Paris) , Joy (Milan).

PONY RYDER: When and how did u start modeling?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: I was scouted at a school excursion in Lille, to be in the Elite Model Look Contest. I was sixteen at that time. I joined the competition in Holland, didn’t get far (I was with the last 500 girls or something) and after that I decided to send some pictures to Touché Models. They asked me if I wanted to cut my hair (it was to my shoulders at that time), I did, and 3 days later I had my first test shoot. The ‘Future faces’ department of Touché has become an agency on itself now.

PONY RYDER: Did you learn about the modeling business yourself, or did you have a lot of guidance?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: I did have guidance, for example when I went to New York for a month in June 07, with two other models from the future faces of Touché, our booker came with us. But I think you learn the most from you own experiences, so for me it was nice to start while I was still in high school, so that I had jobs now and then and slowly found out how it all works.

PONY RYDER: How important do You think it is for a model to know very well which market they fit the most or whether they are more commercial, or more editorial, catwalk, etc...? ANNEMARIJE RUS: I always talked a lot about that with my mother agency. I can do a pretty good job being a commercial model, but I like doing fashion/editorial a lot more. It’s more of a challenge for me. Right now I’m trying to build up my book, getting more tear sheets, to show more of my editorial side. I think it’s really important for a model to know what market works best for her, and to talk about that a lot with your agency, so that there is no misunderstanding and you can present yourself in the best way for your market.

PONY RYDER: How do you prepare for a photoshoot?

ANNEMARIJE RUS: I sometimes try to look up the photographer at the Internet, to check out his work, but most of the time I improvise and try to get the right feeling with the photographer. It also depends on the job.

PONY RYDER: How do You pose, what's your style?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: It really depends on the photographer. I like to keep a pose and vary my facial expressions, but i like to vary my poses as well. But every photographer has their own way of working, so it varies a lot.

PONY RYDER: You had a photo session with Chadwick Tyler, how was that experience for you?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: I did a test shoot with him in New York and this spring I spend 4 days working with him at Malta, to shoot for a local magazine there. He is actually my favorite photographer to work with; I feel a good connection with him and I love his style. For a photographer and a model I think there always has to be a good balance; they have to guide you in what they want, not to much, not too little, and they have to get the best out of you. Sometimes you can feel uncomfortable or feel like you have to hold back, but with Chadwick I feel I’m free to move and sometimes act a little crazy.

PONY RYDER: Is there an aspect of modeling that You like less than others aspects?ANNEMARIJE RUS: Modeling is for me a great way to travel and meet new people from all over the world. Meeting creative, young people, visiting places I have never been to, getting to know cities like Paris and New York… I don’t think there are a lot of professions where those experiences just come with.

What I like less about modeling is that it’s so unpredictable. You can do a hundred castings in a few weeks and not get any job, then you do three on one day and you’re booked for three jobs afterwards. It can be exciting, but it can also bring you down. You have to keep on realizing that modeling is about your outside, and not take the rejections personal. If you do, you’ll get depressed very fast ;-)

PONY RYDER: What is the hardest thing for you, as a new model?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: To deal with being away from home, parted from my friends and family for a long time, and trying to stay positive when things aren’t going the way I would like.

PONY RYDER: Is there a different treatment of models and their careers in a smaller boutique agency, as opposed to big agencies and networks?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: Last month I was in Paris, and I feel really comfortable being with a small agency like City. They may not be one of the big names, but I love my bookers, they are always there for me, and they take the time to plan my career and also ask my opinion about it. I can’t judge if that’s a lot different at bigger agencies, but I feel really comfortable in that ‘family’ feeling.

PONY RYDER: What shows did you did so far?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: I only did the Edwin Oudshoorn show last year at AIFW, and the Frans Moolenaar Award as well. I did a lot of castings for this season, in Milan and also Paris, but I didn’t get any shows. Being a beginner is hard during Fashionweek, because there is not a lot of space for new faces and there are so many gorgeous, tall, slim girls. But anyway, I tried, and you never know how things will be next season!

PONY RYDER: Have you ever had to make a decision whether to skip a season because of school or personal reasons, and what was your decision?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: I finished high school in June. When I was still in school, I didn’t work a lot, I didn’t travel, I just focused on my schoolwork. I think it was good for me, to really enjoy my time at school, and now that I am finished I’m working fulltime. I decided to try it at least one year fulltime, and if it goes well, I will continue. But modeling is something I really do for myself. As soon as I don’t feel happy about it anymore, I will go study or try something else. But for this year I really want to give it a chance and go for it.

PONY RYDER: What do you think its your x factor?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: I think my eyes and lips.
x
PONY RYDER: How do u maintain your skin?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: I clean my face every morning and every night, always take of my makeup before I go to sleep, and use moisturizer. And I’m a vegetarian, I’ve been a vegetarian since I was twelve. I believe that not eating meat is definitely keeping me healthier.

PONY RYDER: Beauty products You can not do without?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: Moisturizer and lip balm.

PONY RYDER: What is inside your makeup bag?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: Mascara and eyebrow mascara, and vaseline for my lips. I don’t use a lot of make up, but when I go out I like to use eyeliner. I never use foundation.

PONY RYDER: What is the best beauty advice u know of?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: Get a lot of sleep! I don’t follow this advice as much as I should, but I see that my skin improves when I sleep long. Eating a lot of fruit and vegetables is also very important.

PONY RYDER: How do stay in shape?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: I walk all day through town for castings, to me that’s workout enough. I’m not really a gym-person.. I used to dance, but I don’t really have time to take dance classes nowadays. Too bad, I miss it.

PONY RYDER: What would You advise to new models?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: Realize that the idea of modeling that the 'Next topmodel' programs give you, is not correct. They show you one episode where girls do castings, but that’s daily life when you arrive in a city as Milan or Paris. It can be tough, but try to enjoy everything you do, because not a lot of people have this opportunity to travel, meet new people and have such diversity in their lives.

PONY RYDER: Do You have any model friend You would like to see presented on Pony Ryder?
ANNEMARIJE RUS: Charlotte van der Sande. She has been modeling for a while, lately joined Max Models and finishes school next year. I think she’s a great person and a great model, and that she definitely will be successful! And to take another one: Ronja van der Berg is only sixteen, but did a lot of good things already.. And she’s such a sweet girl!

PONY RYDER ADORES ANNEMARIJE RUS!!!

Interview with fashion model Annemarije Rus is original work and courtesy of Pony Ryder blog.

Photo n1 and n7 are courtesy of Ph. Valentina Frugiuele , photo credit to TFS

PONY RYDER All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger